Skip to main content

Mei Nagano Stars in A Live-action Film Adaptation of Waka Hirako's My Broken Mariko Manga

 

 

Mei Nagano (Police in a Pod TV drama) is set to star in the forthcoming live-action film adaptation of Waka Hirako's My Broken Mariko manga. The shooting of the Yuki Tanada (Romance Doll)-directed film was already finished, and it is set to be released in Japan in the fall of 2022.

 

As Hirako's first serialization work, My Broken Mariko was serialized in KADOKAWA's Comic BRIDGE online for four episodes from July to December in 2019. After its one-volume tankobon was published in January 2020, it attracted a great deal of attention and won the New Face Award in the 24th Japan Media Arts Festival's Manga Awards in 2021. Its English edition was published by Yen Press in November 2020. The publisher describes its story as below:

 

 

Tomoyo Shiino has stood by her friend Mariko through years of abuse, abandonment, and depression. However horrific her circumstances, their friendship has been the one reassuring constant in Mariko's life-and Tomoyo's too. That is, until Tomoyo is utterly blindsided by news of Mariko's death. In life, Tomoyo felt powerless to help her best friend out of the darkness that ultimately drove her over the edge. Now, Tomoyo is determined to liberate Mariko's ashes for one final journey together... to set free her dear, broken Mariko. 

 

 

 

Message from Mei Nagano:

 

When I was offered the role of Shiino, I was very conflicted because it was a big challenge for me and I was so worried. But I decided to follow Director Tanada, who said 'Let's accept everything and overcome together.' I love the world view of My Broken Mariko. I have been captivated by it since the day I first read the original manga. I cherished that feeling, and with respect, I spoke out my dialogues from my heart, feeling my core getting hotter every day. I think you will be able to see me as I have never been before. I am looking forward to the completion of this film.

 

 

Manga cover:

 


 

Source: "My Broken Mariko" live-action film official website / Twitter

 



Source: Latest in Anime News by Crunchyroll!

Comments