Skip to main content

Crunchyroll All-Stars: Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson on Drawing Energy from Anime Fight Scenes

Crunchyroll All-Stars


Anime fans come from all walks of life and in all shapes and sizes. Some are students, some are scientists, some are doctors, some are artists, and some are even nationally-recognized professional sports figures! Crunchyroll All-Stars is a series of interviews highlighting elite professional athletes who harbor a passion both for their sport and for anime. 

 

Today's profile is on Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson, a professional MMA fighter in the UFC.  Thompson dominated his latest match at UFC 244 at Madison Square Garden on November 2, earning the “Fight of the Night.” Thompson is also no stranger to anime cons, and recently visited us at Crunchyroll Expo! The Wonderboy implements anime into every facet of his professional career, including watching fight scenes to pump him up before a fight. We spoke with Thompson about how Ninja Scroll got him into anime, how Goku is his inspiration, and much more!

 

Stephen Thompson Player Card

(click through for full size image)

 

When did you become an anime fan?  Was there a specific moment that affected you or changed the way you felt about something?


I’ve been a big fan of anime since back in the early 90s. Was Introduced to Ninja Scroll -- one of my favorite animes of all time! Then got into DBZ and have been a fan ever since. 


 

Ninja Scroll

 

Are there any ways you engage with your favorite anime series or characters aside from watching them?


Being that DBZ, Goku specifically, is my favorite anime/character I have some DBZ rash guards that I wear when I train. Every time I take the rash guards off I feel like Goku when he removes his weighted clothes haha.


 

Have you ever bonded with someone else over anime?


Definitely! There are so many fans of anime and being that I am a martial artist, anime fans tend to be my fans too. Random people know I’m a fan and will talk to me at signings and we will talk forever about anime.


 

What’s your favorite anime series of all time, and why?


DBZ. I grew up with it and Goku was my inspiration to train as hard as I possibly could every single time. 


 

Who’s your favorite anime character of all time, and why?


Goku. He’s good, positive, a genuine leader, & the most powerful!


 

Goku

 

Who would you rank as the top anime hero ever, and why?


Since we know I love Goku lol. I’m going to switch things up and say Naruto! Again super inspirational hero who will do whatever it takes to protect his village. 


 

Who would you rank as the top anime villain ever, and why?

 

Madara Uchiha. He orchestrated a plan of global domination without being found out for the longest time. On top of that he is super powerful! Physically and mentally. 


 

Madara Uchiha

 

Have you ever taken any elements or learnings from anime and implemented them into your daily life?


I’m a professional fighter, and I’ve implemented their training philosophies and practice them as my own. I always use awesome anime fight scenes to jack me up before I fight. 


 

It feels like more and more athletes are showcasing their love for anime — what’s anime fandom like in the UFC? And what do you think it is about anime that attracts athletes?


It’s huge. You have fighters wearing Goku wigs at weigh-ins. Fighters will use hand signs from Naruto in the cage. I think it’s the warrior spirit. Anime characters are what we as fighters would love to be. 


 

Last question: what would your message be to someone who recently discovered anime and was thinking about getting into it?


DO IT!!!! Don’t see it as just a cartoon or just fight scenes -- get into the stories. The character development in Naruto Shippuden is some of the best of any series ever!! But be ready to binge watch though!



Source: Latest in Anime News by Crunchyroll!

Comments