Skip to main content

Don’t expect Brexit to give us a British Alexander Hamilton | Rafael Behr

Source: www.theguardian.com - Monday, December 31, 2018
They like to think they’re revolutionaries, but Brexiteers lack the necessary intellect, ideas and vision I spent most of 2018 hearing the same story of revolution, ambition and factional rivalry played on a loop. And when I wasn’t listening to the Hamilton soundtrack I wrote about Brexit. I’m late to the Hamilton party, I know. Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical about the first US Treasury secretary opened on Broadway in 2015. I only got tickets to see it in London a few weeks ago, but by then I was word-perfect on the score. For the uninitiated, Hamilton tells the story of an orphan immigrant’s climb up the social and political ladders of newly independent America, culminating in a death that … well, let’s just say it puts the modern Twitter spat into perspective. Plus singing, dancing, rapping. Related: Brexit will bring a new ‘blitz spirit’? This is nostalgia at its most toxic | Matthew d’Ancona Related: Brexiteers want Britain to ‘look east’. But their idea of Asia is a fantasy | Jeevan Vasagar Continue reading...

All Related | More on Brexit



Source: Breaking News

Comments