Skip to main content

Trying to Avoid Paying $400 for an OWC SSD

Source: apple.stackexchange.com - Tuesday, October 30, 2018
I can’t find an “affordable” compatible 1TB SSD for a 2010/2011 MacBook Air #A1370 other than on OWC for a pricey $400. I don’t want to spend this kind of coin on it so I’ve been looking for a workaround, which I think I did but wondering if someone here has done the same thing that I’m about to do? I have been doing a lot of research and I found a Sintech adapter that fits a M.2 mSATA triple prong 1TB SSD (many priced around $150) into a 6/12 Pin mSata connector. My concerns here now is that the Sintech PCB is longer and if the length of that adapter will overlap or obstruct other components on the board? And the added thickness of the PCB adapter now holding the new SSD PCB chip may make it too thick for the bottom pan to close perhaps? Lastly the Apple controller has to fully handshake the new SSD’s controller to get true 6gb speeds. If the new SSD controller is not that compatible as in the case of OWC’s Sandforce controller which I heard throttles speeds down to 3gb then I won’t get the true potential capable speeds. Does anyone here know which controllers WD, Samsung and Crucial use on their SSD’s? Has anyone on this forum attempted to do this approach and save the $250 or I would assume most just pay the exorbitant OWC $400 price tag?

All Related | More on MacBook Air



Source: Breaking News

Comments