Skip to main content

Metro Restaurant Breaths Sigh of Relief as Dorian’s Path Shifts From Puerto Rico

Source: whotv.com - Wednesday, August 28, 2019
  WINDSOR HEIGHTS, Iowa -- Recently reaching their first anniversary, Puerto Rico Restaurant in Windsor Heights has cause for celebration. "Yo soy Boriqua," said head chef Elizabeth Torres proudly. Monica Torres owns the business and her family was born and raised in Puerto Rico including her sister and head chef Elizabeth. "It`s my birthplace and where I grew up, my childhood my school my family," said Elizabeth. Elation is taking a back seat as category one Hurricane Dorian was forecasted to carve through the Caribbean island Wednesday. "It does get kind of scary thinking about what might be happening again," Elizabeth said. Stress level is high as family still resides there but good news came when the National Hurricane Center believed Dorian's path would shift east on it`s way to Florida. "Oh very happy because I know what I went through when I was in Maria," said Angel Torres, the father of Monica and Elizabeth. The news was great for Elizabeth and Angel who both came to Iowa soon after Hurricane Maria`s devastation in 2017. "Very bad. It destroyed all the houses. We were without water for six months and no light," said Angel. Elizabeth is working at the restaurant to save money to repair her Puerto Rican home which Maria rendered unlivable two years ago. Elizabeth said, "Basically working to get everything fixed over there and I`m like oh my God is it going to be worth it or is there going to be damage again? For now hopef
All Related


Source: Breaking News

Comments